Signs that it is Time to Replace Your Thermostat
Because we know how important it is for you and your family to enjoy the temperatures within your Western New York home, we are going to review some signs that it is time to replace your thermostat.
Your thermostat is one of the key components to your home’s HVAC system and can make all the difference between your Western New York home maintaining its comfort level or not. There are signs that it is time to your replace your thermostat, and they should not be ignored. We are going to review further below.
Why is Your Thermostat Important to Your Home’s HVAC System?
Around 90% of American households have HVAC, and, as stated above, the thermostat is one of the key components to a HVAC system. Your thermostat is a regulating device component of your HVAC. To put it simply, your HVAC’s thermostat is the central control center of your home’s heating and cooling system. It’s the thing that determines when and how much heat or air will be delivered by the unit.
As we have reviewed before, keeping your home within the ideal temperature range is important for your energy costs, comfort, and even your health. To stay comfortable and save money in the warmer months, the U.S. Department of Energy recommends setting your thermostat to 78°F (26°C) when you are home.
If your thermostat is showing signs that it is time to replace it, it can greatly impact your home’s energy expenses and comfort levels.
Signs that it is Time to Replace Your Thermostat
Because we know how important it is for you and your family to enjoy the temperatures within your Western New York home, we are going to review some signs that it is time to replace your thermostat. Regardless if you have a basic thermostat or a programmable thermostat, like all things, there could come a point where you need to make an upgrade.
Keep in mind, with all of the below signs, if your thermostat runs on batteries, the first step to troubleshooting any issue, should be to replace the batteries with a new. Your thermostat problems could be an easy fix.
– Your thermostat is not responding at all or adjusting as it used to. An easy way to tell if it is time to replace your thermostat, is if it stops changing settings or will not respond when you are trying to adjust things on it. When you adjust temperature settings on your thermostat, it should quickly respond to those changes. If your HVAC system doesn’t come on instantly when you make adjustments, there is likely an issue with the thermostat.
– Your thermostat is outdated. Thermostats typically last around 10 years and can become outdated and past their prime. If you know yours is getting up there in age, it could be time to replace it. If you don’t currently have a programmable thermostat, this is the perfect time to upgrade to one. You can save at minimal 10% a year on heating and cooling costs by having a programmable thermostat. By using a programmable thermostat, you can adjust the times you turn on the heating or air conditioning in your Western New York home by having a pre-set schedule.
– Your HVAC system is turning off and on erratically. If you have noticed that your Western New York HVAC system has started turning off and on with no apparent reason, this could be a sign that it is time to replace your thermostat. It is very likely that the thermostat has a problem, if your HVAC system has stopped taking the thermostat cues. The wiring inside your thermostat can become damaged or frayed, or there could be another issue.
– The temperatures displayed seem incorrect. If your home’s thermostat is not reading the temperature of your home correctly, that can make for a miserable and uncomfortable environment. If you notice that your home feels much warmer or cooler than the thermostat is indicating, there could be a problem. To check whether the temperature is correct, you can test the thermostat’s reading with a portable indoor thermometer. If the readings are wrong, then the thermostat’s sensor may be malfunctioning. The issue could be caused by old age, a manufacturing defect, or misuse.
– Inconsistent temperatures for no apparent reason. If it is time to replace your thermostat, it may start having a hard time maintaining settings and temperatures. If you have noticed that the temperature in your home is continuously changing for no reason and with no warning, your thermostat could be going bad. Keep an eye on it and if it continues to happen, contact a local HVAC professional to help you diagnose and resolve the issue.
It doesn’t matter what time of the year it is, most homeowners rely on their HVAC system to keep their home in a desirable range, so they don’t have to think about the weather outside. Your thermostat is key to your home’s comfort level. There are signs that it is time to replace your thermostat, and if you notice one or more of them, Duffett Plumbing, Heating & AC can help.
Duffett Plumbing, Heating & AC is your locally trusted home services team. We’re proud to provide the very best in heating and air conditioning in Hamburg, NY and Erie County. We’re also your full-service plumbing team. We’re available Day or Night. Contact us today.