What to Expect When you Have your HVAC System Replaced
Once you have determined that it is time to replace your HVAC system and you have found one that will work best in your home, it is time to prepare to have your HVAC system replaced.
Did you go to turn on your air conditioner only to find that it doesn’t work or isn’t working as well as it should be? Most people don’t give much thought to the age of their HVAC system or how it is functioning, until it doesn’t work. If your HVAC isn’t working or there are signs that it may need replaced soon, it is likely the first time you are facing such a home improvement, and it can be overwhelming. We are going to review what you can expect when you have your HVAC system replaced, to hopefully help relieve some of your concern.
How long does an HVAC system typically last?
Today’s HVAC systems have a typical lifespan of around 20 to 30 years. If your heater and/or air conditioner is more than 15 years old, it is probably time to start considering replacement options. Because these systems last for nearly two decades, if yours is giving you signs that it may be on its way out, you probably have never had to replace it before, or are faced with a whole new selection of technology than you have been in the past.
What are some signs that my HVAC system may need replaced?
Before you can prepare and know what to expect when you have your HVAC system replaced, you need to determine if it is actually in need of a replacement in the first place. As we mentioned, the age of your unit can play a big role in when you need a new one. You should also look for:
– Higher than normal energy bills and maintenance costs.
– Soot and other debris being created from your unit.
– New noises and sounds.
– Uneven heating and cooling.
Are there things I should look for when selecting a new HVAC system?
If you have determined that it is time to replace your HVAC system, finding a new one can be challenging. Before you have your HVAC system replaced, you should find one that is right for your Western New York home and family. When selecting your new system, consider the below items:
– Energy source you currently have in your home (gas or electric).
– Size of system you need to keep your entire home comfortable. Remember, if the unit is too large, it will operate inefficiently and it will cost more than one of the proper size.
– Energy efficiency; find a HVAC system that will save you money and work effectively.
– Features and benefits that will work for your home and family. Think about advanced filtration, zoned units, etc.
– Price and availability.
What can I expect when I have my HVAC system replaced?
Once you have determined that it is time to replace your HVAC system and you have found one that will work best in your home, it is time to prepare to have your HVAC system replaced. Below are some of the things you can do to prepare for the change and that you can expect when you have your system switched.
– Move your belongings. Before the HVAC company arrives to replace your system, you should prepare your home for the change. Move valuables and furniture to locations that are out of the way. If you have pets and children, it is a good idea to keep them out of the work zone as well.
– Confirm the timeline with the HVAC professionals. Most new HVAC system installs only take a day, but you should confirm the timeline with the HVAC company, prior to them starting on the replacement. If the weather is colder or warmer, you will not want to be without heat or air for an extended period of time, so you may want to make adjustments around your home to accommodate (electric heaters, fans, etc.).
– Be prepared for the unexpected. As with all home repairs, when the professionals get to work, there may be unexpected items that arise. This is okay and you should be prepared for them. The HVAC professionals may find ductwork that needs repaired, wall and drywall issues, electrical problems, etc.
– Training on your new system. Once your new HVAC system has been installed and tested, the HVAC professional should go over the proper operation of your new system and any other important information you may need to know. Feel free, if they don’t show you, to ask them how to change your air filters, if and where the indicator light is, and anything else you would like to know.
When you have your HVAC system replaced, it should be a stress-free process. At Duffett Plumbing, Heating & AC we aim to provide new HVAC systems that lower your energy costs, improve your home’s comfort, are quiet and reliable, and more. The process is easy.
First, contact us for a free in-home estimate. Next, we will measure your home to find the right system for your home. Lastly, once you’ve approved the estimate, we’ll set a date to install your new system. All installation is handled by our experienced, professional technicians.