Tips for Preparing Your HVAC System for Spring
While most people know that they need to prep their HVAC system for summer and prepare it for winter, the spring is often the forgotten season when it comes to heating and cooling.
For some of us homeowners in Western New York it may feel like spring cannot come soon enough, and for others, we may feel like winter just arrived in the Hamburg area. Regardless what category you fall into, the official start of spring is upon us this month, and that means that it is time to get ready for the change in season. We are going to review some tips for preparing your HVAC system for spring, so you can be ready for the warmer weather, longer days, and blossoming flowers on the horizon.
Tips for Preparing Your HVAC System for Spring
While most people know that they need to prep their HVAC system for summer and prepare it for winter, the spring is often the forgotten season when it comes to heating and cooling. The spring weather in the Buffalo area can bring winter-like conditions one day and feel like summer the next. As you can imagine, this drastic up and down in temperature, can put a strain on your HVAC system, making it extremely important that you have it ready to handle the constant changing patterns of Mother Nature. If you haven’t added your HVAC system to your list of things to do while spring cleaning, you should.
Let’s review some tips for preparing your HVAC system for spring.
– Check the outside portion of your HVAC system. If your HVAC system has a condenser that is outdoors, you may have covered it for the fall and winter. If so, now is the time to remove any covering. You don’t want to start up your unit and forget it. If your unit was not covered, check around it for debris and other items that may have accumulated in or near it over the colder months. Turning on the air conditioning portion of your unit and forgetting the cover, or having obstructions in it, can severely damage your HVAC system.
– Change your air filters. We have said it time and time again, but will say it again. Regularly changing your Western New York home’s air filter is important to your HVAC system and your health. At Duffett Plumbing, Heating & AC, we have found that a clogged or dirty air filter is one of the main causes of Hamburg, NY and Erie County home’s HVAC system failures. To get the most life out of your system, and to keep it as efficient as possible, it’s imperative that you change the filter regularly. Winters tend to result in more dust and accumulated debris in air filters than normal, and you want to be sure these air filters are completely clean before the cooling season begins. Because of this, the spring is the perfect time to change your air filter. A dirty or clogged filter puts an extra strain on your HVAC system, leading it to fail more quickly.
– Test your air conditioning. While we may not need AC just yet, before we know it, we will, and no one wants to go for an escape from the heat and find out that their air conditioning doesn’t work. Before the weather calls for AC, it is a good idea to turn it on and ensure that it works without any issues. Testing early will allow you to have time to have your AC unit inspected and fixed before we hit balmy temperatures.
– Check your thermostat. If you have your thermostat turned only to heat, the spring is a great time to change the setting to automatic, so you can ensure your home remains comfortable in our ever-changing weather. The spring is also a great time to program or reprogram your programmable thermostat for the warmer months ahead. Remember to keep temperatures within the recommended range to save you money, keep your home comfortable, and prolong the lifespan of your HVAC system.
– Schedule an annual tune-up. An annual AC tune-up will help keep your system at optimal performance. Doing this in the spring will ensure that your HVAC system is clean and properly lubricated when it kicks into full gear, which is crucial after the demanding New York winter months. When it comes to your home’s air conditioner, preventative maintenance is what keeps your system running well. In some cases, an AC tune-up may even be a requirement of your manufacturer’s warranty. Preventive care will help diagnose problems and issues with your HVAC system before they become a major problem. Scheduling a tune-up in the spring will help you avoid the summertime rush and allow time, in case repairs are needed.
While it may seem hard to believe that we are already planning for the warmer weather ahead, the grass will be green, flowers will have bloomed, and you will be looking to enjoy your AC, before you know it. By following the above tips for preparing your HVAC system for spring, you will be sure to be able to enjoy the much anticipated warmer weather and not be stuck inside trying to deal with a HVAC system that is not working properly.
Ready to schedule your air conditioner maintenance in Hamburg, NY? Duffett Plumbing, Heating & AC is here to help. Let us do the work for you so you can cross one more thing off your spring cleaning list.
During one of our thorough, multi-point tune-ups, our technician will take a close look at your system, looking for potential issues and tightening up performance. The benefits are more than just theoretical. You’ll see lower energy bills in the season ahead, which means more money in your pocket.
Contact us today to get started.